January 22, 2012

January 21, 2012 - Wake Up Call

I suppose if I want to make a press kit and do some more promotion, I need to think a little more about branding. Branding. I really need a good logo, good headshot of me (lol) and a good tagline. I've stolen a line from Matisse, which I love, but I think I need something better. Something exclusively me and in my own words. Do you think, “I make great shit, buy it.” will do?

I think I have it. The Morton Salt Girl. I need something somewhere between my current business card and the Morton Salt logo. I am only branding my Eco Felt Flowers.

I found some recycled glass rondelles that I can uses as my flower centers. Too expensive for now. Must remember later.

I also just realized today, that I've been brainwashed by Etsy. I haven't sold there in over a year, but I'm still brainwashed. Everything they encourage their sellers to do for exposure, benefits Etsy. They don't really encourage you to make a press kit or sell your wares to brick and mortars. Why would they, when they can get commission off your sales online? They also encourage you to up your prices (don't undersell yourself) which means more for them too. Not that I don't think that a business shouldn't do all it can to succeed. I think it would be better if they not pretend they are the good guy whey they are just as greedy as the next corporation.

God I'm running my business just like the seller who made crafts in Girl Scouts and thinks she can make a living off of it, just because there is a site and a store with her name on it. There is so much more to running a business than just making pretty things and I should know better. I should just slap myself across the face, knowing that I didn't wake up sooner than this!

If I want this to work, I have to promote, and put a name and a face to it, and hit the road. I need to create in image and get me some press. I am a designer. If I can design lighting, I can design a business that can sell and be viable. I know I can. I just need to take a look at all the parts I need and assemble them in the most appealing way and voila!

2 comments:

  1. Better late than never, I'm sure you can get working on what you need to make your flowers a success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! But I think I like "I make great shit" Buy it!

    ReplyDelete