February 14, 2012

February 13, 2012

I took another break on the flower shop today, I worked on some aprons and bow ties I sold. I keep thinking that maybe I would just be better off resigning myself to sewing, because although I could make a lot of money designing, I'm really not sure that's what I want to do.

I started sewing by hand when I was little, and then by machine when I was about 14. I did a lot of embroidery when I was younger. Kits, but they were well done. I was not a patient crafter though. I could only finish things if they took a few days at the most. I still prefer design to making, because it's over and passed on really quickly. I also learned how to work really fast, because I get bored quickly.

I got my first sewing machine for my 16th birthday. It was a wonderful machine. At that point in my life, I planned on becoming a fashion designer. I even took tailoring classes in high school and designed a lot of my own clothes.

I had some money for college, but not enough to get into any fashion schools. I didn't know anything about financial aid or loans. My high school counselor advised that I take typing, because a secretary was a good career for a woman. I sometimes with I knew where she lived so I could have left her a flaming bag of, well, you know. At any rate, she was no help to me at all, and I missed out on college, because of very bad advice.

It took quite a few years, but I finally went back to school and what did I do to earn money for tuition? You guessed it, I sewed in a drapery shop. I made beautiful custom drapes, bedding and slipcovers for interior designers clients.

Not sure why I have such an aversion to sewing now, but I really don't like it. Maybe it's a stat of mind and I should learn to like it. Maybe I need to create my own thing or my own process of sewing.

I don't plan to give up on my flowers just yet, but it is nice to know that I have something to rely on
in the mean time.

No comments:

Post a Comment