February 7, 2012

February 6, 2012

Every day I think to myself, you can do this. You have a lot of experience in design and retail and you know marketing, trends and you have an uncanny insight to what all people like. I was given such a hard time in school for my product designs, and yet many of my designs look very much like what was developed in the market shortly after I graduated. I really did know where the market was headed after all.

Every day I think to myself, I can't do this. There are so many talented people out there trying to do the same thing. What would make a person want to come to me, instead of them? My flowers are nice, and cute, but what makes them more special than anyone else?

I spent some quality time in the bath today and came to the conclusion that I will not be doing embroidery on my flowers. I'll leave that to someone else. I need to focus on just 3 things, the flame sculpting, the crocheted bases and the watercolor painting. I will expand on those as the sculpted flower and the watercolor are my own processes. The crochet is the only thing I really want to add.

I also spent the evening working on my website. I was so frustrated with it and then it came to me. It still needs a bit of work, but I know the direction I'm going now and it will be easy to finish. I'll be finishing my packaging soon and other than my brochures, I'll be about ready to start approaching shops.

I don't know exactly how my brochure will look. I do know that they will be half letter size sheet. I have spiral binders, small black so that's how they'll be bound, save me a little money. I will have a picture of one of my broaches, actual size on the cover and I will attach an identical sample through the cover. That way they can wear it, but there will still be the image if they should pass it on to someone else.

I also have to design the labels for the tags, which will be seed packets. I think I have an idea for that one too.

All in all a pretty productive day today.  

1 comment: